Thursday, February 12, 2009

Neuro Surgeon visit #2

Today we visited with Joel MacDonald at IMC. He discusses a lot of the stuff we had already talked about with the other Dr. and reinforced the fact that we really need to see what the exact cancer is that we are dealing with. Gliomas have several varieties, some of which respond differently to varied treatments. This will require a biopsy which will be done on Tuesday 2/17 at IMC by Dr. MacDonald.

The most probable short term course will be to wait and watch. The only symptom I have had with this tumor was one seizure. With continued seizure medication, which is very common, I will be able to drive in a few months. The consequences of surgical complications, radiation, or chemo all have lasting effects. Being in the motor cortex, it is a difficult and tricky operation and should not be done unless completely necessary. Radiation, even gamma and cyber knife technologies, can have short and long term health effects and I don't think he meant I am going to be in the next episode of X Men. Chemo weakens the entire body along with the cancer. I am probably weak enough as it is.

Seeing as I am in overall great health otherwise I will likely wait and watch this, because really... what is more enjoyable than fishing in a river, or driving your family around town, sitting on a ski lift, or using a sceezy urinal with piss puddles under it... all the while knowing that you may be about to have a seizure.

If it progresses, we will have to make some decisions with the aid of neurosurgeons and neuro-oncologists as to the best course, but we need to know exactly what the tumor is composed of in order to chart a course. So minor brain surgery Tuesday, and from there not sure. Should be home Thursday at the latest.

Thanks you for all of your thoughts and prayers. I hope you all know how much I appreciate our friendship. If any of you have called me the last few days and I have not answered, please forgive me. I am still fighting some sort of cold and with all of the talking I am about to lose my voice. I want to visit with you all, and please know that I am not going anywhere quickly so we will get too soon. That said, you never know what will happen tomorrow. So hug someone close and tell them you love them. If they are hot, give em a little goose and tell them, "Your welcome from the Snowman."

5 comments:

Judy said...

Ryan and fam...just hope you know how much I love you and am thinking of you and sending all good energy. Loved spending a little bit of time with Deme and Poppa Charles this week! She is such a delight! "Well, Judy, you probably don't have time for that because you are making jewelry all the time!" How insightful! I wish I COULD make jewelry all the time!

Know you are loved and that our family is praying, wishing, hoping for the best for you and yours.

XOXO Jude

Jeana said...

Hey Ryan,
We are still thinking about you. You are such a great relative and cousin to me. We are praying for you and your wonderful family. Keep us posted on the blog on what is going on. Also if you are interested in Emailing us. This is our email. mnjhobbs@charter.net or I have a email on hotmail it is idahomom_38@hotmail.com I love you.
Your cousin
Jeana

Janan said...

Hi Ryan! I love you and your family so much. We will add our prayers to everyone elses. I goosed Michael for you, and you can give Alisa a sloppy kiss for me. WE love you, let us know if we can ever help out. I have lots of girls and girl toys that Dem would love! smooch! Janan

A and L said...

so, i just left my 'smart-ass little brother trying to lighten the mood with humor' comment on alisa's blog, but now that i think about it, you probably would have appreciated it more than her.

but i hope the biopsy went well. and by well, i hope the doctors didn't take advantage of the access to your motor cortex to make you do some kind of monkey dance, or otherwise embarrass yourself.

Anonymous said...

Ryan and Alisa - this is Ashley's mom, Robyn, from North Carolina. I have read your blogs from the beginning of your current journey and want you to know that I have prayed daily for you and your family. I ask Danny & Ashley for updates constantly and want you to know that we are sending white light, prayer & love from the East Coast. See you next week. Robyn