Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tina is an oligodendroglioma and a fat lard.

So I named my tumor Tina. Any of you named Tina please don't take offense. I knew some Tinas in my younger years and didn't like any of them. I only know one now, and she is a nice person, but the line from Napoleon Dynamite is so fitting. Tina the Tumor.

So I have an oligodendroglioma. It is a grade II. This is the best prognosis that could be expected. Olis generally grow slower and all signs indicate that mine is growing very slowly. As mentioned before it is in a bad spot. Surgery is not an option. I would definitely have side effects. Radiation is the preferred method of treatment, but has serious side effect including memory loss, motor skill impairment, and possible speech issues. Thus, waiting is a good alternative if it remains slow growing. This way I will be old when I have these side effects so all will seem normal. Just kidding- I love all of you baby boomers. A test is being done to see if there is a deletion of the 1p, and 19q (or something like that)chromosome in the tumor. If it is not present, I can have a specific chemotherapy that has shown the ability to fight this type of tumor.

Things that are good for me: my age, grade II (vs III or IV), the histology (olig), size (2.5 cm X 3.5 cm), not across the mid-line of my brain. Also, the manifestation of the tumor through seizures is a good thing. It means my body is recognizing in a dramatic way that something is not right. I also have no other symptoms other than the seizures.

Bad things are location due to inoperability, and the side effects of potential treatment. I can't drink too much (which is my preferred relaxation technique) due to the seizure meds and stress on the liver. How lame is that, now that I have a full bottle of Loritabs and am stressed more than ever, I can't enjoy them with a few cocktails. Some of you are saying shame, shame. Others are trying to remember my garage code. Beware I have a gun, a mohawk and a large dog.

Even holistic healers say that it is difficult to completely rid oneself from primary brian tumors without surgery. I would not mind surprising everyone or being that one case.

I spent about 5 hours last night researching and based upon everything I found, I expected that this is what I had. I told Alisa this morning, "We are hoping for a Grade II Olig." So this is good and semi expected news.

So essentially there is a bomb strapped to me, and they can't cut the wire cause it will explode. If they try to mess with it, it could explode; but it is not making any ticking sounds, so yea! Oh, and they will tell me if it has started ticking in 3 months. I am fine with this news, but my sweet wife Alisa, is needless to say, anxious.

We love our good friends and great family and are so grateful to have you around. Thank you to everyone who has brought us dinner lately. You are awesome. Alisa does not like to cook when she is pregnant and so it has been a lifesaver. Also, thank you for the prayers, thoughts, good vibes. We are feeling them and I know they are working. To people reading this who have been through similar situations and have been willing to talk and share stories and listen- thank you so much. It has been wonderful sharing support and commiserating.

With the mortgage industry going the way it is, I may just request extra radiation, become a pot smoker, and train monkeys at the zoo to throw pooh. It is about as profitable and and way more fun.

That is it for tonight. Time to watch Amazing Race and Fight Club. Does anyone know how I can get on Amazing race? I have some good story lines that they could exploit. Fight Club is just research for my next career. Now I needs to eat some watercrest sprouts, garbanzo beans, and fresh beets. Those monkeys are gonna freak out when I hot box them and cover them in purple.

The keppra may be affecting my sense of humor.

9 comments:

Judy said...

Tina IS a fat lard!! But you just made me laugh more in the last few minutes than I have all week. It's a mixed bag of news but we're glad you at least have some information to work with, Ry. Maybe you and Robyn can start a new career together...hmm..what would that be? Bonnie and Clyde? Now there's an idea!!

Tanea said...

Well, I am glad to hear it is the best news possible, I am praying for you constantly and do hope you are 1 of the cases...

fuelMybrain said...

I hear that! The mortgage cash cow's udder dried up and I now fling poo (horse poo that is). It's not so bad, and I hear monkeys will even play games with you. Good luck with that, and pot may be legal in CA soon so move on out here Cheech.

You're the best, and to hell with Tina!!!! Manifest it to go away... JeNae's gonna send you some good info.

Love from Cali...Liv

Janan said...

Shut up and eat your Case-a-dilla. GO online and apply for Amazing race. Mike and Mark talk big about doing it, but I've yet to see either of them apply. I won't even try, cause I refuse to bungee jump and would puke anything nasty I had to eat. You used lots of words that I don't understand, but I get the good news and bad news part. Bad news sucks. Were thrilled at the good news. Like Alisa, I hate waiting. We love you.

Unknown said...

Every fat lard's dream: to shrink and vaporize into thin air!

Not a bad target to shoot for.

Sending Tina off the great taco truck in the ethers-- as Glinda la good witch says, "Be gone, you have no power here!"

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan,

I think it's great that you gave a name to your tumor. By identifiying the unwanted growth as an enemy you now have defined a point of reference upon which you can direct your attack.

Researching your tumor is also a great idea. Doing your homework to understand your enemy will only serve as an advantage as you go to war against it.

You have actually inspired me to start naming my problems so that I can focus better on eliminating them. So, to start with, I am going to name my belly fat in order to identify my enemy, and then see if I can eliminate it. I haven't thought of a name yet, but when I do, "look out".

Maybe we can have a race to see who gets rid of their unwanted blob first. I don't know how many calories flinging poo burns-up, but that might be a start to my exercise regiment. I'll need to use gloves though.

Maybe I can start taking lessons from "Rex Kwan Do", or play some tetherball, or take my bike off of some sweet jumps. I don't know. I think I'll be more inspired after I have "a gosh darn Quesadilla".

Your aunt Nikki and I pray for you every day. Hang in there.

Unknown said...

Broseph, Thanks for the update. The zoo is going to look like a Dr. Seuss book if you don't stop eating those beets! The only thing I can think to make you happy is to bring you some homemade tamales, but you can't eat it so that won't help. I love you man. I guess we will see what they say in 3 months.

Joel Frost said...

I can't say that word. The word of what Tina is. I have tried to say it for like 5 minutes. I can't say it. I can't wrap my head around it.

A Crone's Life said...

You REALLY need to post a photo of the Mohawk. I think I'll post it, along with the close up of the staples, on my blog. Anyone interested can view photos at www.kelliallred.blogspot.com