Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Skizing



OK- that was kind of creepy. I decided to start a blog to help keep people informed of what is going on and, when I entered my email address, it said I already had a blog and took me here. I remember being desperate for a title and naming it "Snowmen Have Brains." This must have been during the summer, as that was the only time in my life where work was so slow that I would actually spend time blogging. I never did anything with if, but here is a good opportunity.

I am the Snowman, so named by my friend The Beezer. I also respond to the following nicknames: The Snowish One, Broseph, Ry Guy, Frosty, Daddy-O. The association of the brains is a serious coincidence. As you probably know, I found out that I have what is probably a brain tumor on the right side of my head above my ear. So while Snowmen have brains, this Snowman has a brain tumor.

Based upon my research and what I have been told by neurologists and radiologists, the most likely diagnosis is that I have a Low Grade Diffuse Glioma. As I have researched this further, for my demographics, symptoms, and the MRI reading, it is likely a low grade diffuse astrocytoma (seems to be a subcategory of Glioma). The good news is that it is in an area that is near the surface, and while all brain matter is important, this is not directly affecting critical brain function. It is close to my motor cortex for the left side of my body, but does not appear to be affecting that area of brain as I have complete control of my faculties.

I have an appointment with a Neurosurgeon on 2/12 and will know more later. The anticipated prognosis is that a biopsy will be ordered, and pathologists will confirm what specifically I have. From there, the docs will make suggestions ranging from tumor extraction, to chemo, to radiation therapy or a combination of these treatments. Glioma's are normally difficult to remove completely and will likely be something I will have to follow up on and/or combat in the future. There is a small chance that this could be plaque related to early stage multiple sclerosis, however it does seem to be a small chance.

Due to the seizures I can't drive for the time being, and the anti-seizure medicine Dilantin makes me a little dizzy. As my Grandma Zelph used to say, "Godfrey, I'm havin a dizzy spell!"

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I am going to make it through this and we will have a huge party when I am on the mend. I love you all very much and I look forward to seeing you soon.

I want to thank my friends Dan Richardson and Tony Passey who were with me when I had my seizure and helped me get medical attention. I gave them quite a scare.

Also, my wife Alisa is a rock star. I am trying not to stress her out, as she has enough on her mind and in her belly. I will post more later.

7 comments:

Sabina said...

Ryan - you have such a positive outlook! Stay strong!

Anonymous said...

Dude, you have an ugly brain. Good thing you didn't show that to us when we went skiing. That would have been over the top. Just kidding man, get better.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Ryan, That, by far, wasn't the scariest thing you've ever done! Also, I agree with dan. You have an ugly brain. I think it needs to be remodeled. That is why I am contemplating a fundraiser to raise money for ugly brain awareness. You can support the cause by purchasing one of these new stylish wristbands in several colors that say "LIVE FROSTY". They are available on QVC and home shopping network.

MicRo said...

Hey man - I just heard the news. I'm happy to see the positive outlook, and can't imagine the scary feeling. I know you'll make it through this, and will keep you in my thoughts & prayers!

Please let me know if there is anything at all that I can do to help.

Sarai said...

That is a funny/ creepy coinsidence. Our family loves you and Alisa and Demee and we are praying for you. Looking forward to that party!

Geo said...

Hey, Ryan. This is Debby's friend, Georgia. I'm subscribing to your blog so Rob and I can keep up with you. Prayers are pouring out of our house for you guys . . . add us to the cheering section. Love from the Bucherts

Anonymous said...

Hey Ry-guy. I want one of those wrist bands. Seriously you are awesome and we love you. We are also looking forward to the party and you being a thorn in our side for a very long time. Cory and I are always here.

You, Alisa, and Deme are always in our thoughts and prayers.